Upper Animas River Rafting Trip
- 100-plus rapids
- 13,000-foot peaks rising from the banks of the river
- Shuttle on the Historic Narrow Gauge Railroad
- 3 optional class V rapids
- Deluxe permanent/private wilderness camp
- Great fishing around camp
- Delicious steak and salmon dinner, complete with wine, appetizers
- Fresh salad, pasta, scrumptious dessert
The Upper Animas brings adventure enthusiasts from around the world to Durango, Colorado. It is the quintessential whitewater experience! In high water, many consider this river to be the most difficult commercially run trip in the United States. Thirteen thousand to fourteen thousand-foot peaks rise from the banks of the river as you face continuous sections of whitewater that leave your arms shaking from the continuous paddling. Cascades and waterfalls pour into the river as you tackle the exciting rapids.
As the high water of spring recedes, the Animas River settles down a bit and becomes suitable for those looking for a great wilderness trip with lots of technical whitewater, but not quite the intensity of high-water runoff in June. The age limit drops to 14 when accompanied by a parent or guardian in July and early August. The ability to walk around the class V rapids at more moderate water levels allows a larger spectrum of river enthusiasts to experience this magical Colorado rafting trip.
Our 1-day animas river rafting guests only have one regret: missing out on our spectacular, deluxe, private camp and the thrilling rafting of day 2. An established camp, complete with kitchen tent, pot belly wood burning stove, bathroom teepee, camp tables and chairs, hammocks, horseshoes, games, campfire pit and occasionally a visit from the area's bear, followed by another spectacular day of whitewater rafting, is not to be missed!
Any of the Animas River rafting trip options is complete when you board the famous Narrow Gauge Railroad, overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment, for your shuttle out of Colorado's most imposing canyon.
- Train ticket included in Package Rate
- Additional Safety Boater for every 3 boats of customers
- Low guide to guest ratio, with an average of 4 customers to 1 guide
- Pre-trip orientations (bonus raft trip and practice swim the night before the trip!)
- Free helmets, splash jackets, and Coast Gaurd approved Personal Flotation Devices
- State-of-the-art self-bailing rafts
- Satellite phone for when communication is necessary
- Various boat sizes provided in order to give the best experience at different water levels
- Wetsuit boots (recommended all season, available to rent)
- Wetsuits/Wetsuit Boots (recommended for April, May and June raft trips; required on Inflatable Kayak trips through mid-July, available to rent)
Day by Day Itinerary
Sample One-Day Itinerary
Sample Two-Day Itinerary
Sample Three-Day Itinerary
Our amazing 3-day trip on the Upper Animas begins in Silverton where rafters conquer non-stop class II and III rapids with intermittent class IV and, depending on water level, at least two class V rapids. The first day ends at our exclusive 5-star camp in the Weminuche Wilderness. Day two serves as a "layover day", in which guests spend a day at our established camp and are able to escape from the stresses of everyday life. Day three is filled with continuous class II and III rapids, intermittent class IV and one class V rapid, and ends with a ride out of the wilderness on the historic narrow gauge railroad.
About The Operator:
Mild to Wild Rafting, Inc.
Molly and Alex Mickel started Mild to Wild Rafting and Jeep Trail Tours in 1997. Molly and Alex have four children: Benji, Trudy, Charlie, and Freddie. Much of Mild to Wild's focus surrounds family, safety, and fun, all of which they have incorporated from their family.
Mild to Wild is focused on providing superior customer service, with knowledgeable guides, state-of-the-art equipment, and creating lasting memories for each guest's vacation. To provide each guest with the best experience, it is necessary for the Mild to Wild Staff to work as a cohesive unit, whereas each employee is trained fully on each trip option, and the unique ways Mild to Wild cares for our guests.
Company Mission: To provide our guests with the highest quality outdoor experience & have our guests leave with a desire to tell others about us, our trips and return year after year for the same or another one of our trips.
Mild to Wild Vision Statement: To become the largest and most reputable outdoors adventure company in the Southwest.