Mt. Shasta Summit Climb - Introduction to Mountaineering
- Summit Mt. Shasta (14,162 ft.)
- Full introduction to the skills of ice ax self arrest, crampon use, and rope skills
- Climb with SWS Mountain Guides with over 29 plus years of guiding experience
- 1000 plus guided ascents of Mt. Shasta
- Excellent safety record in over 29 years of continuous operation
An introduction to mountaineering on Mt. Shasta (14,162 ft.)-learn mountaineering skills and climb to the summit!
Join us for a 3-day weekend instructional course in the basics of mountaineering including a summit climb via Mt. Shasta's Avalanche Gulch, West Face or late season Eastside Route. This seminar includes instruction in: complete ice axe and crampon use, ice-axe self-arrest, route finding, mountain sense, establishing a proper camp, and mountain safety. For anyone who has a desire to acquire the skills necessary to ascend Mt. Shasta safely, and wishes to explore the world of alpine mountaineering. Included is an additional day of mountaineering instruction and an extra day of acclimatization. Climb Mt. Shasta at a slower rate and enjoy your time on the mountain. For beginning climbers wanting to learn the basics of mountaineering!
- Professional instruction/guides
- Breakfast(s), dinner(s) and hot drinks
- Group climbing equipment including: ice axes, crampons, helmets, harnesses
- Group camping equipment including: tents and stoves, and permits, permit fees
- Transportation to the meeting location in Mt. Shasta, California
- Personal items such as; sleeping bag, pack, proper footwear, personal clothing
- Snack and lunches
- Snowshoes (available for rent)
Day by Day Itinerary
After meeting at the SWS Mountain Guides Office in Mt. Shasta City at 8:00 am on the first day we will conduct a full pack check and issue group and personal gear as needed. We then carpool to the Bunny Flat trailhead on Mt. Shasta's south side. We will then climb to the 8,500 ft - 9,500 ft. level and establish an intermediate camp with the afternoon spent acclimatizing with practice in the basics of Alpine Mountaineering, (ice ax and crampon use).
We ascend to our high camp and continue our day of skill building and alpine education, before we retire early in preparation for an alpine start (up by 2:00 am) for the attempt of Mt. Shasta's summit.
Alpine Start to the day up at 2:00 am, will put our new skills into practice as we summit Mt. Shasta. Returning to our high camp for a quick snack and rest before descending to our vehicles at the trailhead by 5-6 pm.
About The Operator:
SWS Mountain Guides
Mt. Shasta, CA
Our 2010 courses and climbs are conducted year around whether a first-time backpackers or a skilled mountaineer, we have a course to get you started or improve your techniques. We have been teaching & guiding, mountaineering, backpacking, winter mountaineering, rock & ice climbing for over 29 years on the best mountains in California. As well as conducting small personalized expeditions, treks & adventure travel throughout the world for over 20 years. We have an excellent safety record and our climbs and courses are kept small for maximum safety and the best experience! So whether you want to backpack in Yosemite or Climb some of the worlds biggest mountains, come explore our website and "EXPERIENCE THE ADVENTURE" with SWS Mountain Guides.